Sunday, May 18, 2008

Mattise Progress (and blog updates)

Well, it's been a while since I talked about Mattise here, and although I'm not sure exactly how many people follow its development I think it helps me as much as it helps everyone else to know exactly what's going on...

The current working copy of Mattise (ie, Mattise 3.0) has the following features:
  • Powerful bitmap-based page allocator
  • Simple kernel heap allocator (possibly changed to dlmalloc in the future)
  • Paging support, with reference counting for mappings
  • ELF binary support (loading modules, which are basically object files, and linked binaries)
  • Rudimentary VFS (currently just performs replacement based on a prefix/device binding, soon will replace the old device manager)
  • Device manager (soon to be replaced with VFS)
  • ATA driver (hard drive I/O)
  • Console driver (/dev/tty basically, though no terminal compatibility at all yet)
  • FAT32 support (no other FATs though)
  • Tiny bash-like shell
  • Functional newlib port
  • Runs NASM, binutils
The last point is what I'm most proud of.

Also, to avoid making multiple entries within the space of such a short amount of time, I'm going to mention some new things that I'll be bringing into this blog:
  • More personal stuff (photos, anecdotes, etc...)
  • Updates on projects
  • Informational articles
  • (Rarely) A discussion about some concept (eg, "Gaming: Pick up and Play or The Epic?")
Enjoy!

No comments: